One of the nation’s most controversial perimeters will be easier to monitor after new security technology goes live shortly.
The Trump administration has confirmed an internet-connected surveillance camera will soon be fully operational at U.S.-Mexico border wall.
The new “wall cam” is expected to start streaming live images from the border within days, delivering on a 2016 general election promise to perform a major revamp of the nation’s borders and curb illegal immigration.
“People will see that President [Donald] Trump is coming through on his promises,” a senior White House official said according to the Washington Examiner.
Another top aide confirmed the very first publicly released images on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) website will show the first stage of the completed structure.
“This shows 164 miles of promises kept,” the official said according to the paper.
CBP recently backed this information by confirming the first section replaced 11 miles of significantly damaged fencing, and 6 miles without any secondary barrier that failed to keep illegal immigrants out of the country.
“[About] 162 miles of the new border wall system has already been constructed in place of dilapidated and outdated designs, or in locations where no barriers previously existed,” CBP said in a statement. “As of April 17, 2020, CBP has 656 miles of primary barriers and 43 miles of secondary barriers on the southwest border.”
Since the beginning of 2017, about $15 billion has been earmarked to build the full 731 miles of new border wall. Work completed so far includes 294 miles of pedestrian fencing, 217 miles of vehicle barriers, 162 miles of new primary and secondary border walls, and 26 miles of secondary fencing.
The project was jointly funded by the Department of Homeland Security, Department of Defense, and the Treasury Forfeiture Fund.
The announcement came following the president’s decision to suspend all immigration into the United States for at least 60 days to help contain the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) Virus pandemic.
The restriction is also hoped to give Americans, who were let go or placed on leave due to the economic shutdown, a chance to find other work. About 4.4 percent of people, who are of working age, are unemployed according to the latest data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics website.
“In light of the attack from the invisible enemy, as well as the need to protect the jobs of our great American citizens, I will be signing an executive order to temporarily suspend immigration into the United States,” the president said on Twitter.